Bible Baptist Church, Coffeyville, KS
Download the ASCII
text version of this sermon
As father's we have a great responsibility to teach our families to love the Lord. God gives us the key ingredients to accomplish this purpose. Intertwined in this is teaching them to love, respect and follow God's Word. Notice three things that are vital to teaching our families to love Him.
I. We need to Talk Of God's Word
A. We need to take the time
to talk with our
families of the things of God
Proverbs 22:6-15 admonishes us to "Train up a child"
1. Dedicate or set aside for God's purpose.
2. We must have clear cut objectives of what we plan to teach them
3. We must create a strong desire for spirituality in there lives.
B. Some principles of Training
1. Training is more than teaching.
b. Teaching deals with the mind
c. Training deals with the will
d. Training is not only TELLING them what to do, but
SHOWING them how to do it.
e. Training is bringing our families to the place that they are
accustomed to dong right habitually, willingly and happily!
2. Prevention is better that Cure. This means start early and stay
on the job constantly! Be aware of what is going on around us and
3. Habit precedes Understanding! It seems that when children get
into their teen years they start to question the things we have
taught them. This is the time that those things are being weighed.
They are deciding if these will be THEIR convictions also.
4. Example is better than Precept. Actions speak louder than
5. Love that Draws is better than Law that Demands!
II. We need to Do God's Word
A. Pray FOR our families. Pray WITH them
B. Praise is very important
1. Praise God!!!
2. Praise your Wife and Children. This teaches them to be grateful
a. Listen to them. God listens to us! He even asks us to bring
our needs to Him!
b. Spend enjoyable time with them!
C. We need to BE God's Word
Matt.12:34-35 "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things."
Prov.4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
1. We Must be saved!!!!
2. We Must have the "Great" commandment firmly placed in our
Matt.22:37-38 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. "
3. As we love the Lord we become more like him. As we become
more like Him, more of His love and action show up in our lives.
4. When our families see that the Lord is REAL to us they begin to
realize just how important it is to also love Him and this is what
being a father is all about!!!
to Sermon Index