by Pastor Harry Jackson,
Download the ASCII text version of this sermon
John 4:35-38 Romans 10:5 - 15
"Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved..." (Rom 10:13)
"How will they call without believing... (v. 14)
How are they to believe without hearing...(v. 14)
How will they hear without a preacher...(v. 14)
How will he preach except he be sent! (v.15)
SO... There it is in its profound simplicity... The pivotal concept in missions is sending!!!
* The Fountain of Missionary Enterprise
- - -
* The Focus of Missionary Planning - - -
* The Purpose of this Conference and all that we say and do here is SENDING!!!
1. Abounding Grace: (2 Cor 8:7)
2. A Purposeful Heart: (2 Cor 9:7)
Must purpose in our heart that the focus will be on sending not spending. The question is not what the church will Spend, but rather, What do we send
HAMPTON PARK, GREENVILLE, SC. $55,000 in one month!!!
Missions, Missionaries, Mission Conferences.... all revolve around a profoundly simple concept. The Gospel is the ultimate expression of the mind of God. It is a message that must be told... It must be told everywhere. It must be told to everyone. "Go ye therefore and teach all nations..." Mt. 28:19
"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mk. 16:15
"Ye shall be witnesses unto me... unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8
"I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldst be for salvation, unto the ends of the earth." Acts 13:47
This profoundly simple concept becomes rich in human detail if viewed in the context in which Divine Mandate and Human Response come together... When a Yielded Man and a Yearning God become of the same mind...
* Beneath a snow covered grove of trees behind the Andover Seminary in Massachusetts in the winter of 1810, Adoniram Judson knelt and made a "solemn dedication of himself to God." He said..."The command of Christ to go into all the world came to my mind with such force and clarity that I knew I must obey the command at all costs."
* While sitting at his cobbler's bench in Leiscter, England, William Carey was overtaken and overpowered with the realization that God wanted him to go to the ends of the earth with the Gospel.
* In his dormitory room at Wheaton in the late 1940's Jim Elliot wrote: "those generations passing away at this moment! They must hear of the Savior! How can we wait? O Lord of Harvest, do send forth laborers! Here Am I Lord, Send Me."
The yielded willingness of a man or a woman mean very little without the parallel response of churches like yours.
Acts 11:22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Acts 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
It is when Divine Mandate, Human Response and the Spirit-Led Submission of the Body unite that the Profound Simplicity of Missions is complete. When a Yielded Man and a Yearning God and a Submissive Church Agree.
· On February 4, 1812 in the crowded Tabernacle Church, in Salem, MA, when the Pastor and elders solemnly laid hands on Judson, Rice, Newell, and Howell and sent them away to India and Burma
· In the emotion-charged atmosphere of the Friars Lane Baptist Church, Nottingham, April, 1792, when Andrew Fuller cried that India seemed a vast gold mine with no one to venture into its depths and William Carey leapt to his feet responding “I’ll go down into the mine, but you must hold the ropes.
I. THEY WILL PREACH WHEN THEY ARE SENT:
And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
II. THEY WILL BE SENT WHEN YOUR FAITH IS INCREASED:
2 Cor. 10:15-16
...but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly, To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, ...”
Return to Sermon Index