By Pastor Michael D. O'Neal
Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, GA
Text: Text: 1 Chr. 4:10
1 Chronicles 4:10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel,
saying, Oh that
thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand
might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not
grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
Introduction: Some parts of the Bible are harder than others to read. Some parts of the Bible are harder to understand than others. Anyone who doesn't read the difficult parts of the Bible is missing a blessing.
Jabez means "sorrowful." I almost titled this message, "Even a sorry man can get a blessing!"
Jabez asked for
1. Heavenly pleasure - "bless me indeed"
2. Heavenly prosperity - "enlarge my coast"
3. Heavenly presence - "thine hand might be with me"
4. Heavenly protection - "thou wouldest keep me from
evil, that it may not grieve me!"
and GOT it! - And God granted him that which he requested.
As we go into the new millennium, it is easy to observe that these are the DARKEST times ever! Children are taking guns to school and shooting one another. Sodomites are in Washington helping govern the country, helping make laws.
And yet, I believe God is still able to do great things! I believe God is STILL able to build great churches! I believe God is STILL able to grant big requests!
Dream me with, brethren, about what God can do with us as we enter the new millennium:
I. LET'S OBSERVE THE OPPORTUNITIES POSSIBLE
Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.
Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
We need a vision of the opportunities possible:
A. For getting out the gospel
1. Every problem people have, gives us an
opportunity to show that Christ is STILL
2. We can still knock on doors! Let's do it!
3. We can still run buses!
4. We can print tracts!
5. We can buy advertising!
6. We can get on television and radio stations!
7. We can have a presence on the World Wide Web!
8. We can write "letters to the editor"!
9. We can still send out missionaries and
10. There are MANY opportunities for evangelizing
B. For growing in grace as
1. We can grow in our Bible reading, study, and
2. We can grow in our prayer lives, in concentration,
fervency, faithfulness (making lists), faith,
3. We can grow in soul-winning, setting goals for
confronting individuals and seeing them saved.
4. We can grow in sanctification.
5. We can grow in stewardship - management of time,
talent, and treasure.
6. I don't care HOW old you are, or HOW mature you
are, you need to see that there are wonderful
opportunities for growth as a Christian!
83-year-old evangelist Hugh Pyle blesses my heart.
We took him and his wife out for lunch when we
were in Panama City recently. Then two of my
preachers took him shopping for a computer. At his
age he wants to buy a computer, learn how to use
it, and put up a website to sell his books!
C. For gaining ground as a
1. Let's do more than hold our own!
2. Let's go for more conversions!
3. Let's go after more baptisms!
4. Let's go after more adult prospects!
5. Let's go after more adult members!
II. LET'S OVERCOME THE OPPOSING PROBLEMS
2 Timothy 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
Written from PRISON:
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Written from PRISON:
Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
A. Conquer the devil
B. Conquer division
C. Conquer distraction
1. Hobbies, sports
D. Conquer defilement
E. Conquer discouragement
1. Ponder on the right things.
2. Pray the right way.
3. Persevere with the right power.
III. LET'S OBTAIN THE OLD PATHS
Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
A. Let's pursue the OLD message
B. Let's pursue the OLD methods
1. The new methods - attract the lost by becoming
like them; hide our beliefs by removing the
name "Baptist" from our churches (Rick Blue
in TX changing church name to "Family Fellowship
of Greenville" Jan. 1.);
2. I'm not against TV, radio, printing presses,
advertising, and the Internet. I use them all!
3. However, I still believe God can build churches
through old-fashioned preaching and teaching
of the word of God, personal work one on one
with lost people in public and in their homes,
fasting, and praying!
C. Let's pursue the OLD music
1. Music is NOT neutral! If it were neutral, it
would not be a part of worship! It is SPIRITUAL!
2. Music (without words) was used to drive unclean
spirits out of Saul, so it has an effect on
the spirit world!
3. Nebuchadnezzar used music as his call to worship
of the golden image.
4. The Israelites had music that matched the sounds
of war, according to Joshua, while they were
worshiping the golden calf.
D. Let's pursue the OLD morals
IV. LET'S OVERSEE OUR OWN PROJECT
Colossians 4:17 And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
A. Major on YOUR purpose (write
it down) (you may
want to convey this to a friend for accountability
1. God's will for your life in His work
2. General goals
3. Specific goals
B. Map your plan
1. How you will achieve your goals
C. Measure your progress
1. Set small checkpoints or goals.
2. Evaluate what you have done at these
3. Change your goals or plans as necessary.
GO FOR IT!
LET'S PRAY AND EXPECT AN ANSWER!
LET'S PREACH AND EXPECT RESULTS!
LET'S PRESS ON AND EXPECT TO FINISH!
KEEP ON KEEPING ON
I've dreamed many a dream that never came true
And I've seen them vanish at dawn,
But enough of my dreams HAVE come true
To make me keep dreaming on.
I've trusted many a friend that has failed me
And left me to weep alone,
But enough of my friends have been true to me
To make me keep trusting on.
I've sown many a seed that fell by the wayside
For the birds to feed upon,
But I've held enough golden sheaves in my hand
To keep me sowing on.
I've drained the cup of disappointment and pain,
And I've gone many days without a song,
But I've sipped enough nectar from the roses of life
To make me want to live on.
to Sermon Index