By Pastor Chuck Bonner
Victory Baptist Church, Oshkosh, WI
Text: Topical - Christmas
Luke 2:20 "And the shepherds returned glorifying and praising
God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto
them." Matthew 2:12 "And being warned of God in a dream that they should
not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way."
I. A Gift Of A renewed Life
A. In Christ, we are a new Creature
II Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold all things are become new."
B. In Matthew 2:12, they departed "another
1. When we come to Christ, we should "go" another way from they
way that we were going
We should exhibit a changed life a. blind Bartimaus was not the
same after he received Jesus b. the Maniac of Gadara was not
the same after he received Jesus
II. A Gift Of Service
A. The shepherds "came with haste" Luke 2:16
they found Jesus
2. they wasted no time in doing so
B. Zaccheus also came with haste
C. We need to come with "haste"
1. Isaiah said in Isaiah 6:8 "...here am I, send me."
Saul said in Acts 9:6 "...Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?..."
III. The Gift Of Worship
A. In Matthew
2:11 the wise men "...fell down and
B. Our need
to humble ourselves before God and to
C. This indicates
a heart of submission unto the Lord
IV. Appropriate Gifts
A. The wise
men brought four types of gifts in Matthew
1. Gold; a tribute to a King and shows forth His Deity
2. Frankincense would be symbolic of purity of life; a sweet
3. Jesus is God, He did not and cannot sin I Peter 2:21-22
4. Myrrh is bitter and would show forth the bitter death of Christ
B. What would our gift to Christ be?
1. Romans 12:1-2
2. I Corinthians 15:31 Paul tell us that "...I die daily."
3. The need to give of ourselves in serving the Lord
4. What will I loose in receiving Christ as Saviour?
5. What will I loose in serving God?
Return to Sermon Index