By Pastor Chuck Bonner
Victory Baptist Church, Oshkosh, WI
Download the ASCII
text version of this sermon
Text: I Kings 19:12
Introduction: The Lord speaks to men today by the written Word of God. He also speaks silently to the Christian's heart by the Holy Spirit. We will take a brief look at seven voices of the Lord Jesus Christ as found in Scripture.
I. The Shepherd's Voice -- Follow Me
A. The Sheep follow Him John 10:27
B. Follow Him and not walk in darkness John 8:12
To follow Jesus expresses a union of the two, you and Christ
2. To follow Jesus shows that you are united or "hooked together" with Him
3. To follow Jesus is to go the same way as He goes
C. Follow Him and be a fisher of men Matt. 4:19
D. Follow Jesus and take up your Cross
Die to the importance of self
2. Put the Lord first in your life every moment of every day
3. Make Christ the number #1 priority in your living; serving; and giving
II. The Master's Voice
A. Occupy till I Come Luke 19 :13
the word "occupy" is used in the Bible two times; the first time in
2. here in Luke 19:13, it means "trade ye" or "gain your living" till the
second coming of Christ.
3. Work, or do our daily tasks and jobs until He comes; work for
the Lord till He comes again.
B. Jesus IS coming again in Glory
We don't know when -- He is on HIS timetable
2. Let's be ready for His coming; looking; working; serving; not
giving up and not giving in.
III. The Savior's Voice
A. Come unto Me
Matthew 11:28 This basically means to "come here and follow" it
is a command of the Lord Jesus Christ.
B. We are to give our burdens to the
Lord; Cast your care
C. To come to Jesus and follow Him brings rest
rest here means "refreshment"
2. the word "rest" as used here is NOT a rest from work but a REST
IN WORK. This refers to the harmonious working of will; heart;
3. As we work (labor) for the Lord, He will refresh us as we come and
IV. The Teachers Voice
A. Learn of Me Matt. 11:29 let
us be meek and lowly
(humble) so that we can be teachable
B. Take His yoke upon you; this tells
us that we should
team up with Christ and submit to His authority.
C. We are to follow Christ's example
I Peter 2:21-22
V. The Voice of the Bridegroom
A. The bridegroom has the Bride John 3:28-30
the saved belong to the Lord
2. we were bought with a price, the precious blood of Jesus Christ
on the Cross of Calvary.
B. He (the Bridegroom-Jesus) must increase in our lives vs 29-30
We need more of Christ and less of self in our lives
2. We need more of He wants for us and less of what I want for me
3. When we give Christ His rightful place in our lives, He blesses us
more and more.
VI. The Voice of the Friend
A. I will sup with him Revelation
3:20 The word "sup"
here means spiritual communion between Christ and you.
B. The True Friend knocks and offers
C. Notice the context here.
We have a local New Testament Church that has shut Christ out.
They may have their traditions; pageantry; ceremonies; etc. but not
Christ nor His power. Therefore, they are a powerless congregation
just going through the motions of "religion."
2. Jesus is knocking at the door of a local church and, as a "Friend",
offers to come in "if" any man (just one person) will hear the Lord
and open the door to the Lord.
3. This shows the love; mercy; and grace of the Lord as well as His
patience toward mankind.
VII. The Voice of the Physician
A. Christ makes one whole John 5:6
we are complete in Him Colossians 2:10
2. In Christ, we are complete in the "will of God" Colossians 4:12
B. He heals the broken - hearted Luke 4:18
sometimes we think of a physical healing; but there is the "spiritual
healing" or the "mending" that is needed in a person's life after a heart -
2. Let Christ heal you spiritually and do not dwell on the problems; give
them to Christ by casting ALL of your care upon Him. I Peter 5:7
3. Remember ... wounds take time to heal and Christ the Great Physician
heals broken hearts.
Let's follow the Voice of the Saviour. If you know Him not as personal Saviour, I beg you now, to receive Him. Ask Jesus Christ to forgive you of your sins and, by faith, ask Him to come into your heart and save you now.
After you have received Him as your personal Saviour; continue to follow
His voice. Read the Word of God and see what the Lord has for you. Allow
your self to "Grow" spiritually. Follow Jesus Christ in Baptism as an act
of personal obedience and as an answer of a good conscience toward the
Lord. Be "teachable" by attending, on a weekly basis, a Bible believing
Baptist church; getting into a Sunday morning Bible class. Learn and follow
the Lord. Read the Word daily; pray daily; tell others of what Jesus Christ
has done for you. Invite friends and relatives to receive Christ as their
personal Saviour also. Turn to Him in every aspect of your life and share
with Christ, every problem and concern in your life. make Him a part of
your life on a daily basis.
Return to Sermon Index